The mission of the 87th Infantry Division Legacy Association is as follows:
- To preserve the historic World War II record of the 87th Infantry Division which fought in the European Theater of Operations as part of General George S. Patton’s Third Army; and to educate descendants of these U.S. Army veterans and the public about their significant sacrifices and contributions during this pivotal global war.
- To conduct public discussion groups, forums, panels, lectures, or other similar programs to keep before our country the record of the 87th Infantry Division.
The association holds an annual reunion for veterans and other association members. We also initiate projects that are consistent with our mission. For example, the following projects have either been completed or are in progress:
- Digitizing the Division history book, and making it available via this web site.
- Digitizing all issues of the Golden Acorn News, spanning from 1942 through 2008, and making these available on this web site.
- Fund raising, contracting for, and having a monument to the 87th Infantry Division installed at the National Infantry Museum’s Memorial Walk of Honor at Fort Benning, GA.
- Compiling a list of all monuments to the 87th Infantry Division, both overseas and in the United States.
Membership in the association is open to all.
Legacy Association Officers
|First Vice-President||Korine Headlee|
|Second Vice-President||Dennis Lennon|
Other Key Executive Committee Members
|Assistant Secretary for Membership||Tim Muilenburg|
|Assistant Treasurer for Operations||Thomas R. Hewlett, Jr.|
|Reunion Coordinators||Thomas R. Hewlett, Jr.|
|Interim Legacy GAN Editor||Barbara Strang|
|Historian||Jim Ogden, III|
|Veteran Advisors||Tom Burgess, A-345
Victor Cross, B-345
Fern Browne – Acornette
|Past Presidents||Mark I. Roth
Craig L. Stiegemeier
Thomas R. Hewlett, Jr.