The 87th Infantry Legacy Association’s mission is to preserve the World War II contributions of the 87th Infantry Division and educate the public about the significant sacrifices and contributions of the Division’s soldiers during this pivotal global war. The 87th was an instrumental unit in General George S. Patton’s 3rd Army success in the Battle of the Bulge during World War II. The 87th Infantry Legacy Association is a group of sons, daughters, other relatives and friends intent on honoring the 87th’s contribution to World War II by performing educational functions to ensure the Division’s actions are not forgotten. Timothy D. Higgins was the son of John (Jack) W. Higgins. Jack was with Company A of the 346th Regiment of the 87th Infantry Division. Tim was the 4th President of the Legacy Association and worked tirelessly to help plan, conduct and document annual reunions/educational forums. These take place to continue to share the history of the Division. Tim faithfully attended reunions with his Dad and brought along his brother and children in hopes that they would continue the mission. Tim passed in 2021, and this Scholarship Fund was set up in his name to honor all those who strive to ensure that the Division’s contribution to a free world is not forgotten.
- Age/Grade Level: Applicant must be going into, or in their senior year of high school, or first year of college or trade school
- Minimum GPA: 2.5 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Financial Need: Not Required
- Other Academic Requirements: Currently attending as a full-time student (as determined by your school’s financial aid office)
- Post High School Graduation Plan: Attend an accredited, two or four-year, not-for-profit institution or trade school within the US
- Extracurricular: Be active in extra-curricular activities and community service. Special attention will be noted for volunteer work connected with the activities of the military or first responders including but not limited to programs regarding those who have given service to society.
- Military: Identify a friend or relative involved with the 87th Infantry Division in some way.
- Miscellaneous: Demonstrate a willingness to promote the legacy of the 87th Infantry Division’s contribution to World War II.
- Transcript: Unofficial, seven semester transcript is acceptable.
- Resume/Activity List: Required – any format is acceptable – there is space on the application form.
- Recommendation Letters: Two letters of Recommendation: (from: principal or counselor of school, clergyman, professor, or other un-related person knowing of applicant’s character).
- Other Materials: A completed application form and an essay (approximately 500 words) on the contribution of the 87th Infantry Division in World War II.
- Deadline: July 30, for an award during the upcoming school year.
- Award: The award will be announced during the upcoming annual reunion of the 87th Infantry Division Legacy Association (normally taking place during the fall) and will be posted on the website.
- Craig Stiegemeier – Phone: (314) 239-8923
- Email: Scholarship@87th-Inf-Legacy.org